Current:Home > reviewsNevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -MacroWatch
Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
Indexbit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 03:09:00
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have again been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (4273)
Related
- A Mississippi company is sentenced for mislabeling cheap seafood as premium local fish
- Put Down That PS5 And Pick Up Your Switch For The Pixelated Pleasures Of 'Eastward'
- Jamie Lee Curtis Gives Her Flowers to Everyone, Everywhere During Oscars 2023 Speech
- Zelenskyy decries graphic video purportedly showing beheading of Ukrainian prisoner of war: Everyone must react
- Trump wants to turn the clock on daylight saving time
- Elizabeth Holmes grilled by prosecutors on witness stand in her criminal fraud trial
- Watch Jenna Ortega and Fred Armisen Hilariously Parody The Parent Trap Remake on SNL
- Cara Delevingne Has Her Own Angelina Jolie Leg Moment in Elie Saab on Oscars 2023 Red Carpet
- 'We're reborn!' Gazans express joy at returning home to north
- Heidi Klum Wows in Yellow Dress at Elton John AIDS Foundation Oscars 2023 Party
Ranking
- Working Well: When holidays present rude customers, taking breaks and the high road preserve peace
- Leaked Pentagon docs show rift between U.S. and U.N. over Ukraine
- Zelenskyy decries graphic video purportedly showing beheading of Ukrainian prisoner of war: Everyone must react
- Lady Gaga Just Took Our Breath Away on the Oscars 2023 Red Carpet
- 'No Good Deed': Who's the killer in the Netflix comedy? And will there be a Season 2?
- Miley Cyrus and Boyfriend Maxx Morando Make Rare Appearance Together at Fashion Show
- Facebook wants to lean into the metaverse. Here's what it is and how it will work
- Russia's entire Pacific Fleet put on high alert for practice missile launches
Recommendation
Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
All the Ways Everything Everywhere All at Once Made Oscars History
Students are still struggling to get internet. The infrastructure law could help
You'll Be a Sucker for Joe Jonas and Sophie Turner's Matching Goth Looks at Oscars After-Party
Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
Former Indian lawmaker and his brother shot dead by men posing as journalists in attack caught live on TV
Social media misinformation stokes a worsening civil war in Ethiopia
Russia pulls mothballed Cold War-era tanks out of deep storage as Ukraine war grinds on